HOW CAN YOU BE SURE YOU ARE HIRING THE RIGHT CANDIDATE FOR THE JOB?
REFER TO THESE 9 TIPS WHEN SELECTING AN EMPLOYEE TO RECRUIT FOR SUCCESS.
When it comes to hiring the right candidate, employers need to keep in mind that you are not hiring a skill set but a person. Companies must aim to recruit for success, as well as give the new employee a sense of belonging — a win-win situation for both parties. A poorly resourced or bad role-fit leads to employee frustration and will negatively impact your bottom line.
Most businesses assume that the responsibility for hiring the right candidate falls solely on the human resources department. However, ensuring sure that the person chosen to fill the role is the best fit for the company and has the required skill set, requires collaboration from various departments, including HR, managers and the team in which the new employee will be working. You also need to acquire a holistic view of that person through assessments and interviews — not only of their capabilities and experience but their personalities and work ethic.
Hiring the right candidate with the right personality is important, not the skill set
You need to be intentional about the types of personalities you choose to hire. For example, placing an introvert into a marketing or sales position would not achieve the desired results. Match the personality to the job, as it is far more important than a skill set. Remember that skills can be learnt and ensure you hire someone who is willing to learn.
Departmental collaboration on defining the position is necessary
HR consultants need to have a complete understanding of the job requirements to ensure they are hiring the right candidate. This involves exploring not only the responsibilities and requirements of the position, but also the personality of the manager that the individual will work under. Consult with the manager to understand the scope of the job and requirements for training. As an HR consultant, it is vital to have a good understanding of your company culture to hire suitable employees.
Answer the questions below to establish who would be the best candidate for the position:
- Can this individual work well on their own or do they need to work in a team?
- Can they work under pressure?
- Will they be able to produce both the quantity and quality of work required, and add value to the company?
- Are they a good personality fit with their immediate manager and team, as well as the company culture?
- Is the organisation changing and would this candidate be resilient enough to stay with the company during the transition? Look at their employment history: do they have a track record of hopping from one job to another?
- What works within the company culture and which candidates will fit into that spec?
- What makes your company culture attractive to a prospective employee? And how can you retain them? It would not be ideal to lose an employee to a competitor, particularly if you have invested in training them for the role.
- Consider the output you want in this role and how quickly you would be able to obtain it.
- Does this candidate need training to be developed for the role?
While these tips are valuable, hiring the best candidate for your company can be challenging. This is where Change Agility comes in. We offer a comprehensive skills assessment tool to assess skills, as well as behaviour. This will provide employers with an accurate picture of the candidate, as well as a development plan to implement any training that may be required.
It is also important to establish what competency framework an individual has and whether recruitment can lead straight into the job or into a development plan first. Induction is also necessary for the individual to understand the role and company culture, and it provides the opportunity for company processes and roles to be explained.
With our cloud-based online skills and behavioural assessments, we can assist you in hiring the best candidate for your business. We also offer innovative approaches to hard- and soft-skills training and a range of courses tailored to your needs. Contact Change Agility today.